Saturday, April 08, 2006

Monotony

Life has been REALLY monotonous ever since i moved to San Diego. The first week was the most interesting- staying at a friend's place, driving a brand new PT Cruiser, eating out, getting used to the job environment and such cool things...so u can imagine the plight since then.
Moved into a 2-bedroom apartment with two others. Both of them goto bed at 8:30pm on week days and at 9:30pm on weekends, making me feel guilty about sleeping "late" at 11pm. During grad days, 1 am was the earliest i went to bed, barring very very rare exceptions. Wonder how one moment people are young and the nano-second they start working, they become old. For all those worrying about not getting jobs and not being able to work...take my word- "working sucks"...not exactly because of working but because of all the revised schedule. Take ur own sweet time before facing the inevitable.
Contrary to popular belief, eating out has reduced a lot. I even carry lunch to office, which surprises even myself! Going to gym and temple are the two great pastimes here.
At last, i got something to talk about today. Went to the temple last night(it's just past 12 now) cos they had Ramanavami celebrations. That i would have been there otherwise too is a different issue. There I saw two beautiful girls(girls with sweet voices are known as "beautiful" in my dictionary!) singing Carnatic songs. The temple was full of people and i was forced to take a seat. I'd have stayed anyways, for the only other choices were going to the gym or cooking. So i took my seat at about 7:30pm and finally got to stand up at 10:30 pm to join the crowd in giving the artists a big and richly deserved standing ovation. Ranjani and Gayatri- the sisters, sang very very well. I found out only a minute ago that they are not as amateur as i initially thought they were. More info on them can be found at http://www.ranjanigayatri.com/ - kudos to them. Not for a single second did i feel like even stretching my legs during the 3 hour performance. It was absolutely engrossing to say the least. They are on a US tour now, singing in Cleveland this Sunday(tomorrow) and travelling to other places after that. As usual, i was lost in the crowd of Carnatic zealots talking about all the ragas n stuff.
I used to be part of SABHA(http://www.uc.edu/groups/sabha/index.html) during my grad days. Like most others who were there, i went to the orientation only cos they provided free pizza. As luck would have it, i ended up being the treasurer for that year and got the friendship of a few amazing student artists and got to meet a lot of renowned performers. We had a big SABHA family then. It was fun. The concerts were great and instilled in me an interest for Indian Classical Music. I was and am not comfortable with the theories, but listening to Carnatic music is a delight, more so if the song is in tamil. Learning it for 7 years, albeit against my will and with zero interest, did not hurt at all.
Cooked Maggi at 11pm and had it for dinner along with two bananas. Things are back to normalcy now. Winamp's singing "Maerkae Maerkae", roomies are into their 2nd quarter of tonight's sleep and i am feeling guilty about staying awake...

25 comments:

Ram said...

Raz-lol! listen to Janaki singing that in Marupadiyum. chanceless voice and what an amazing music by the maestro. i just love that song...

Ram said...

hmmm- maybe some day in the future...no promises though. my voice is very ordinary...

Nostalgia said...

Ram: Fan club in making huh???
Again my knowledge on this subject is limited.

Raz: Ram has an awesome voice.

Certainly I can comment on your monotony, bring in something into your life for which you wait, look forward, work towards, which enjoy etc. It could be anything a person, a goal, a target, a passion, a hobby. Probably you're muttering "potham da".

Ram said...

dei- "Ram has an awesome voice" - 26 vayasaachu innum thirunthalayaa da nee? :P
fair advice...but too much inertia right now. it shud be ok in a few weeks, i guess.

Heidi Kris said...

un voice ku ena da korachal. nana dhan iruku.
girls with sweet voices are known as "beautiful" in my dictionary! =))

Ram said...

Sri- adhu oru poetic(kavidhaikku poi azhagu) effect ku :P

Nostalgia said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Nostalgia said...

"girls with sweet voices are known as "beautiful" in my dictionary!" ....Unnal mattum eppadi da???

Ram said...

dei dei- romba pugazhaadha da :D veNNa!

Siva said...

dei, unmaya sollu. When did u start going to temples? Have heard ur Anjaneyar temple stories.. Poor guys here dont know abt u ;-)

And regarding ur comment on "working sucks", I differ from ur views. Am realising how much I lack in terms of meeting 100% expectations in my job. I kind of settle for mediocracy in a few things in life but when I'm part of a corporate world, there is no room for mediocracy!

Nostalgia said...

Siva: hmmmmmmm.. does your manager check you blogs??? :P

Ram said...

Siva- quoting myself, "take my word- "working sucks"...not exactly because of working but because of all the revised schedule". Anjaneyar temple stories that u have heard are not true...not entirely true :D

meghjanmi said...

ram,wondering what else am i going to find in u that's me...;)

meghjanmi said...

and..i kinda second RC's request..put up an audio post.it will be lovely!

Ram said...

MJ- what is it this time? :)

No promises MJ. I might if i am in the mood. The previous one was posted using my mobile, by calling a local number. I had to hold the phone in one hand and had to make sure that the signal was good enough so that the post would come out clear. Singing na innum kashtam. Let's see...

meghjanmi said...

ram,audio posts podardukkunu oru s/w iruka..run around and let me know,please..
it's the 7yrs of training and love for tamil songs in carnatic music...:)
incredulous,but true...shyami kept saying (b4 we had had our intro)that there is smone exactly like me..wonder if that is a compliment to u..?

meghjanmi said...

my hubby says it can be done with karoake and mp3..pestering him now to tell me more in detail!!

Ram said...

that's not a compliment- that's flattering MJ! :)

let me know if you find out. I'll try too...

The one i used for my post is good only for calling within USA and is not very good either :(

meghjanmi said...

'imaya maliyila vandu ice u vakkira..'
:)

Siva said...

Ram: Quoting urs - "not exactly because of working but because of all the revised schedule".

My point is exactly that. Without this revised schedule I can never come close to the expectations from my job. I'm sure you'll realise that this revised schedule helps you go coherent with ur work.

and delayed postuku sorry. Thought I had replied earlier, but forgot :-(

Ram said...

siva- not sure if i get what u mean. i have no complaints about work da. but, what it prevents me from doing is things like
1. watching a movie at 11pm in the night
2. wake up at 10 am(very conservative estimate!)
3. do my favorite timepass here(going to temple) daily
etc.
if there was a way where i could do all these and still work 8 hours a day 5 days a week, that's ideal. Since the situation i am in is ideal only for my efficiency at work(as u say), i think "working sucks"...

Siva said...

hmm.. got it. But thats the graduation we make from student to work life. And by the time we realise, we'll be up for the next graduation (kannalam ;-) and wonder what u'll complain then. The first graduation is nothing compared to the second one esp when u have kids etc..

Ram said...

oh- i will not have any complaints about marriage! I choose not to have any. But my fear for marriage will remain to be higher than anything else in this world until i actually encounter it ;)

cutefreaky said...

True.. how badly our life cycle...gets screwed back to 'normal'cy once we start working.. but well.. me gone back to school days for past 2-3 weeks.. sleepn at 3 or 4 am .... (hssshhhh.. dnt tell my parents)... but then.. gettn out of office.. n havn time fr urself.. n learning things which u have nt been able to all these days for various reasons.. n making new friends.. is always too much fun.. ( the last part needs ur own mode of transportation).....but then.. being single.. having n doin wht u like.. boredom forcing us to search for friends is a phase of life ..which we might long for.. when we are all "too married" n responsibilities eats our time.. so have fun nw dude... life is too short for u to feel guilty thinkn about a pair of lazy ppl sleepn ;-)

tata
sukku

Ram said...

sukku- hehe, true. There's always two sides to a coin ;)