Friday, June 03, 2005

Windmills of the Gods...

I finished reading this book last night. I did not like the only other book of Sidney Sheldon that i had read before, "The Doomsday Conspiracy", as much as i liked this one. He has now become one of my favorite authors! He certainly made me feel good about the way he said things on a lot of occasions throughout the book.
There were quite a few little surprises(not cos of the story, but cos of the way the narration was) throughout the book, ones that made me tingle with joy! Then ofcourse, there was this sequence of events where my opinion on who the bad guy was swayed at a rate faster than a pendulum time-piece going from right to left and back to the right! It had all the masala required to make a Hollywood film- infact the movie was released in 1987. I'd like to watch the movie some time to see what compromises were made to accomodate some of the minor suspenses in the book, which while reading i felt were impossible to show on screen! There are some impossible sequences in "The DVC", the book, too- am keen to see the way they are shown on screen.
Next, am going to read "Fountainhead" by Ayn Rand which is THE favorite for a lot of people i know...hope i like the book too!

Federer bowed out of the French Open Championship 2005 as i was typing this post! Somehow, i don't like Federer. That has been my initial reaction towards many other greats in the arena of sports. I dont like him because he's being compared to Sampras already, who in my opinion is the best player tennis has ever produced! Federer's game is very good, no questions about that. But I'll like him only when he starts being humble(the thing that defines my favorites like Sachin, Sampras and Steffi) on and off the court. Safin's my favorite as of today!

10 comments:

Vetty Max said...

When was Federer not humble? :-o

arethusa said...

Don't you think the real identity of "Angel" was a bit too far-fetched??
well...read up more authors b4 you decide Sheldon's great! :)

Ram said...

Q. everybody considers you so much better than every other player in the world. Don't you think you're in a risky situation, that if you win, you're just doing your job, and you have just something to lose?

ROGER FEDERER: Well, this is maybe ‑‑ I felt this way before. But now that I'm always in contention of winning big tournaments, it changes because once you won the tournament, then you're such a happy person. The people realise actually what a great job you did.

I know also for sometimes the second and third round, it's not made to become famous. I am already famous enough in tennis. These matches, I look at them like, these are the matches I have to win and this is also where I push myself almost the hardest. Because once the tournament gets under way, everything comes very natural for me.

Now that I'm again, you know, have this opportunity to win this tournament or any big tournament, is a very special feeling. And I also get very nervous before finals. And these are the moments I work hard and live for. This is going to be a great match, I hope.

------------------------------------

k7- that was from his interview before wimbledon finals 2004 where he was the defending champion and won it, eventually. The italicized statements should throw some light on what i was talking about in my post. If one bears in mind that he had just two Grand Slam Titles, entered QF of a Grand Slam just on two other occasions and had 6 first round exits out of the 20 Grand Slams he had participated prior to Wimbledon 2004, the italicized statements clearly shows the air of arrogance he has(had?). Even the way he presents himself on court isn't like a true champion, never composed and cribbing a lot of times. Am sure he'll get better with age and i might even end up liking him a lot....but as of today, i'd love to see him lose to any talented player in the tennis arena!

Ram said...

Shy- "Angel", i thought, was not far-fetched at all. Just think, that he named the character "Angel", in the first place! That was an absolute beauty.
I said that Sheldon has now become one of my favorites. That doesnt make him great, does it?!!! I'll surely read works of many more authors in future, but if i'll have to read every single author's works before i can form an opinion about an author, it doesnt make much sense, does it? :) In simple words, me liking Sheldon DOES NOT mean that i dont like the rest!

arethusa said...

Hey, Sorry if my comment sounded very supercilious or anything. What I meant was it'll not be long before you think that Sheldon is just ordinary when you start reading more... :)
Sorry again if I meant more than I said, or said more than I meant! :)

Ram said...

Shy- I am sure that'll be the case! I liked Archer a lot after i finished reading K&A, but my opinion changed quite a bit after reading NAPMNAPL. I dont generally have fixed opinions on things! They keep changing. Ofcourse, when a pro like u says something like that, adhula oru artham irukkum! ;)
and enakku sorryngara word-a kaettaalae konjam allergy! yedhukku idhellaam? :-s

arethusa said...

hehe..thought I'd "offended" you! :P

Ram said...

:P nakkal !

Arvind said...

dude try 'Tell me your dreams' .. you'll love it ..by far thats the best thats come from him till date

(psst incase u dont .. stop reading sheldon .. )

Ram said...

Arvind- sure...