Wednesday, April 06, 2005

NAPM, NAPL

I finished reading Jeffrey Archer's Not a Penny More, Not a Penny Less last night. I might be revealing significant details from the plot in this post and so reader discretion is advised in further reading of this post!
It's only my second book of Archer, after Kane and Abel and I should say it was not to my liking as much as K&A was! Considering it was only Archer's first novel though, I thought he had done a pretty good job. The only worrying factor was that some of the incidents were too dramatic and rather thankfully, the author did not make it over-dramatic by thinking of some plot to get back the last $1.24!
I had a hunch as to who Anne was, right when her character was introduced, since I felt that her character was almost unnecessary to the plot at that point and I should say that I lost the surprise element there. Maybe I was over-expecting stuff and hence was surprised in the end which I felt was rather tame, considering the momentum gathered in the early stages of the book. I also did not enjoy the fact that Harvey Metcalfe was shown to be a stupid throughout...didn't justify him becoming a millionaire with the help of his brain!
The humor in the plot was very subtle and extremely pleasant to my liking. So was Archer's deliberate play with words...he proved to be a master at it, yet again. The characters were well etched and the screenplay was very gripping, albeit dramatic. The carefree manner in which David Keslar was dumped off the screen was adorable(i kept expecting that he'd reappear in the end!) and I couldn't help but adore the manner in which Archer, unlike Follett manages to keep the intimate scenes limited to kissing, allowing himself the privilege of having an audience whose ages can range anywhere between 10 and 100!
The book's certainly worth a read...

6 comments:

Akshay said...

I Suggest:

Matter of Honor;
Sons of Fortune;

Very good books,
By Archer....

Also

Code to Zero

By Follet..

Ram said...

will surely read them all sooner or later :)...have started off with "Godfather" now ! :D

Vetty Max said...

It so happened that I liked NAPM,NAPL more than K & A...probably due to the fact that I had got bored of these "two people" Archer stories. NAPM seemed so very novel.

Archer books that you can avoid:

Honour Among Thieves
Shall We Tell the President :D

capriciously_me said...

godfather...the best ever man!!

i think NAPM is one of his not-so-gud books...after kane & abel, u prob shd read the prodigal daughter!! i loved the fourth estate too...i think sons of fortune is actually a rehash of his earlier books...cant blame him considering the fact that he wrote the book when he was in prison!!

Ram said...

k7- will keep them as my last choices :)

CM- Godfather started off in a very *simple* fashion...unfortunately I did not find time to proceed any further than the intros part yet...shud get done with it in a week or two, i expect.

Ram said...

hehe mess- i like Follett better than JA too...i was just trying to point out what might act against him...Follett's fun, no second thoughts about it!