Wednesday, January 26, 2005

More Kozhambu

More Kozhambu is one of South India's special dishes. It's a mixture(broth n vegetables) that is eaten along with cooked rice! It's one of my favorites. Yesterday, i tried cooking it!

After getting some (in)valuable tips from a friend on how to go about cooking it, i started cooking. I decided to use "Lady's Finger"(aka Okra) as the vegetable(dint have much choice, really). I churned Green Chillies, Kadala Paruppu(Channa Dal) and Cumin Seeds(both soaked in water for some time before churning), Coconut, Yogurt and Buttermilk in a mixer. The choice of what to use how much as i always believe is the cook's discretion. Channa Dal helps in getting the right consistency and so the choice of right amounts of the other ingredients revolve around it. I churned Channa Dal and Cumin Seeds as fine as possible before adding the other ingredients into the mixer. On a pan, I fried mustard seeds and the okra and then put them into the liquid(the one from the mixer) and heated the mixture gently. Then i added a lil amount of turmeric powder and salt and kept stirring the mixture. The More Kozhambu was then ready to be tasted!

It took remarkably less time than i anticipated it to take. I decided to make very little since this was the first time and i immediately realised it was a blunder when i tasted the end-product! Yes, it tasted really good.

I got my ultimate compliment when my roomie said it was too good for someone cooking it for the first time! So, now i have another dish in my kitty! Welcome More Kozhambu...i am going to have MORE of you in future!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is this from the "Jagadamba book of recipes " ??
B-ork

Ram said...

hehe- my own book of recipes. i never follow any book or website to make dishes. i hear from my friends and mom and just do what they say, trying small variations every time and optimizing the taste of the end-product!

Anonymous said...

googled for more kozhambu and came here. thanks for the recipe :)