Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Be Safe...And Let Be

There's a couple about the same age as my parents in our neighborhood in Chennai. They had two sons and both of them are not in this world any more. Their first son died in a train accident while travelling on footboard about 10 years ago when he was only 17 and their second son died in a car accident two nights ago. He turned 26 two months back. When i learnt about the message this morning, I was very very upset. I did not know about the nature of the accident since it was a text message from my sister. I was left staring at my mobile for a couple of minutes in utter disbelief. I was feeling very sorry for him. When i called my parents later on, I learnt that he was driving a car and that the car had hit a stationary bus. There were 4 people in the car and all four had died, three including himself on the spot. I was a little furious after knowing this. Then I learnt that it was a case of drunk driving. I was really infuriated at this point. Then my dad cried on the phone. He was really upset after hearing the news. My mom did not how to confront the bereaved mother. I knew that my sister was very upset too. Now, I was feeling sorry for him again and more so for his parents.

The worst thing about death is that more often than not, when you die, you leave atleast a handful of people helpless and in a pitiful state. The rest of my day was mostly spent on thinking about him and his parents. The feelings ranged from extreme pity to uncontrollable anger.

To me, the only villain in this whole episode was alcohol. Why is there such a big urge to consume alcohol? What's the big deal in losing one's senses? Even if that's tolerated, how could one drink and drive, being fully aware of the consequences? I have been easy-going as far as my friends drinking alcoholic beverages is concerned. But today's incident makes me think. What's the point? I am suffering because my friend drove under the influence of alcohol. My father is. My whole family is and many such families are...the biggest sufferers being none other than his very own parents. What he gained by drinking alcohol is nothing compared to what his family has lost. Why don't people understand this simple fact?

Please stop consuming alcohol starting now. It's simply not worth it. Even if you are weak and can't let go, atleast make sure that you don't drive while you are drunk and please don't be your own judge as to how much alochol is "acceptable". Even if you don't care to do this, the least you can do is to make sure you die your death all alone. I am not going to shed a single drop of tear in the future for anyone who invites his own fate and puts the lives of others in danger by driving under the influence of alcohol.

Those of you who don't drink, don't feel uncomfortable to keep reminding your friends about the grave danger that comes with drinking and drunk driving. Be a pest if that's what it takes and be willing to be the driver if you feel the slightest suspicion that your friend will drive under influence if you don't accompany him or her.

Those of you who drink, be safe and feel free to make full use of people like me who can drive so that you can drink to your heart's content. A little discomfort is nothing compared to saving your priceless lives...

15 comments:

Heidi Kris said...

Very sad to hear that. He should have learnt a lesson atleast from his brothers demise.

Dont know whats the craze in drinking. And yeah the most untolarable thing is his mistake costed not only his life, but his friends too!

Atleast, let this incident be an eye-opener for others.

Anonymous said...

Total agreer Ram. And very well articulated too. (unlike an old post of mine on the same subject)

It's simply not worth it.

Again agree.

Zeppelin said...

Completely agree machi ! very well written..

reminds me of a line from Saving Private Ryan where the Chief of Staff reads out Abraham Lincoln.. something like this.. "no words of mine will assuage your loss.." and goes on like that..

i will keep his parents in my prayers.

take care..

meghjanmi said...

Man cannot decide his birth or death but such incidents make me think he invites Death to his very door..if the boy who knows fully well the consequences,does take the decision to drive when drunk and also put the lives of his friends in danger and of the loved ones in despair..who is to blame?
His parents are the worst hit of the lot..what words could possibly console them..
I am a pest as u say,some ppl think I am weird for even if I meet someone the first time and they say they take alcohol,I say it is bad for u and ur friends and ur family..but then,someone sometime will realise..

Anonymous said...

"To me, the only villain in this whole episode was alcohol"

Was it alcohol? or the guy who felt that alcohol wasn't harmful?

"I am not going to shed a single drop of tear in the future for anyone who invites his own fate"

Good Decision! I made it a long time ago!

"grave danger that comes with drinking and drunk driving"

Do people listen? As far as I've seen they never listen!
Some would go on to drive after drinking just to prove that it is safe!

Prasanna said...

very sad indeed... i have tried to, but i cant knock sense into these ppl's heads...

forget those who are sitting behind a drunk driver, there might be "more" innocent ppl on the road...

such insensitive ppl dont deserve our pity...

Siva said...

so much for law and order in our country, Salman Khan is out acting movies which people enjoy and it also becomes a hit.. I see so many of those police videos here and wish our country's laws were as strict. vera ethukum vanaga mattanga da namma oorla..

Heidi Kris said...

Namba oor layum inda law and rules lam iruku. 40 Kmph speedku mela city kulla drive pana kudadhu, heavy vehicles like lorry shudnt enter during peak hours.. Surveillance cameras are of course there in all the major signals. Irundhum ena proyojanam? One way la police ninu wrong side la varavana pidicha, kai la 100 rooba note-a kuduthu grease pani jolly-a poiduvanunga. Police videos venam, irukara police lam konjam yogyana irunda porum.

Ram said...

thanks Sri, K7, Raz, Arun

MJ- thanks. continue your good work...and am sure you'll agree with me when i say that a simple word of caution will go a long way...

Naren- By alcohol, i meant the same and please try not to be cynical and help people around you even if you think they won't listen. adi mela adi vechcha ammiyum nagarum. I hope you would.

PV- agree. I think it's our duty to talk sense. Who knows...we might be saving our own lives by trying to knock sense into their heads...

Siva and Sri- it's easy to be critical, emotional and even cynical during these times. but, let's try to do what we can, to the best of our abilities, and i feel nothing beats talking to the people we know first, time and again...

Siva said...

Ram, I can tell u now, talking takes us no where. am not being a spoil sport here but people who drink/smoke are not indulging in those w/o knowing the after effects. Consciously they do it. Patta dhan da arivu varum. like the saying, thongaravana ezhupalam, thongara mathiri act panravana ezhupa mudiyathu..

@HK: I meant to say the same. Laws are there in our country along with big holes to go right thro them. And by Police videos, I meant "Amazing Police videos" TV program and not the surveillance video itself.

Anonymous said...

@Ram

"i feel nothing beats talking to the people we know first, time and again"

Agreed da! I wasn't trying to be cynical. I do keep telling people, but only a few bother to listen. There are some hopeless cases I've seen!

Reality: en aruvai thaanga mudiyaama, oru friend walks these days to the bar instead of driving & someone will have to pick him up later! Ippadiyum oru vazhkai!

Anonymous said...

Just cannot imagine what the parents must be going through...their life is ruined for ever. I cannot imagine parents ever getting over the loss of their child let alone two of them in this case. How cruel fate can be. How irresponsible of the son to have done this to his parents. Gosh - hope there is some redemption somehow for the parents in some bigger picture.

Ram said...

Siva- we can achieve nothing by being disappointed by such responses or by convincing ourselves that "pattaa dhaan arivu varum" nu. but we might achieve something by constantly nagging them.

Naren- great job. Even one in hundred give an ear to what you say, u have achieved something!

Noon- i know. all we can do now is pray for them and be hopeful.

Anonymous said...

Hi....I just happened to read your blogs......the guy who died used to work for Covansys chennai??and his name is Karthik Saravanan??if yes he was my colleague and he was the most jovial guy i have seen.....the day before he died, he gave us a big party after his onsite trip.....i still remember his charming face...May his soul rest in peace.....

Ram said...

Anon - yes, it was him...can't believe it's been 3 years, almost.