Sunday, August 14, 2005

Knee Injury...

Lack of a proper fitness regime, it's got to be. On Friday, during our regular cricket practice, I was bowling as usual. Suddenly, on my follow through i heard a cracking sound from my knee and the next moment i was on the ground crying in pain. My immediate thought was that i had broken a bone. I have never had a fracture in my life before and to have one at this point in time was the worst i could imagine. My teammates took a good look at my knee and the experienced ones diagnosed that it wasn't a fracture since there was no serious swelling. I waited there for another hour and a half for the practice to end and by that time i was feeling reasonably better and so decided against going to the doctor that night(i hate visiting hospitals- am quite the opposite of an hypochondriac). I was helped all along by two of my team mates, who took me to a nearby pharmacy to buy a pain relieving gel and then took me to a restaurant where we had dinner. Thanks guys, for being very helpful. They then brought me home and I was on my own from then on for another hour or so until my roommate came home. I broke a towel hanger in the bathroom putting my full weight on it! I took a painkiller and decided to sleep, when my roommate arrived. I told him about this and we decided to go see a doctor the next morning if it did not get any better, and it did not.
So, i went to the university hospital on Saturday afternoon and after having waited for nearly 5 hours, saw the doctor! Thanks to my roommate and another friend for their patience and support, the time flew by. The doctor diagnosed it as a possible lateral ligament tear or an inflammation in the meniscus. He said that he would not be able to find which one it was without being cruel to me. He said that it would hurt me a lot if he tried to then and so asked me to see an orthopaedist on monday when the pain would have lessened. I'll have to fix up an appointment and it could well be a week before I actually see an orthopaedist. Am on painkillers right now and was on crutches until earlier today. Now, am able to walk around without the crutches. There's pain(better than what it was yesterday though) and the swelling hasnt come down by much. Hope it heals soon.
Thanks a lot A and J for your help. Thanks a lot K and S for your patience and help. Living away from home will only be a nightmare if not for friends like you...

16 comments:

Vetty Max said...

Odamba parthukko da Ram. Get well soon. :)

Vetty Max said...

Odamba parthukko da Ram. Get well soon. :)

Prasanna said...

machi..get well soon da :)
midwest needs its kapil dev :P

Heidi Kris said...

:O :-s ram nethi online pathapo kuda sollala :(.. anyhow get well soon da.. take care..wish you speedy recovery @}:- [-o< O:-)

Bugs said...

hey..hope you get well soon..

Ram said...

K7, PV, Sri n Bugs- thanks guys...

Anonymous said...

get well soon da :) glenn mcgrath and now u..some coincidence...
btw does this mean u got more time to continue ur short story series :-?

one sincere advice ligament tear dont ever think of playing until it gets fully healed ok...vayasu aachu da...adhukku aprom... :P

Ram said...

sudh- thanks...yeah, probably no more cricket this season...

Luckykid said...

Am sorry to hear that man
the star is out... wtf are we gonna do now... since I am keeping now we can even rely on me to wrap the tail once the others get the openers out... ;)

Ram said...

niri- looks like it's gonna be hard to even scrap 11 players for this weekend! pity man...hope u guys find 11 to take on CCC. all the best!

Anonymous said...

Hey Ram,

Just saw this. Sorry dude. Probably would have heard all types of judgements and opinions. My 2 cents. I had been there couple of years back, below all the techie jargon wht I could decipher was, my knee ball came out of a socket for a micro second and settled back peacefully, tearing all the ligaments in the process. :). Terrible pain. No jokes. :(. Anyway I have an extra Knee cap which can be worn to limit movements of the knee and reduce the pain. let me know if your doc allows it. Sorry again dude.

Vish

Ram said...

Vish - i'll be meeting the ortho tomorrow and will know then :-s ...when i went to the hospital last week, the doc said he doesnt want to give me the knee cap cos i might get too used to it cos it feels really comfy. Also, he said that my knee will permanently sit at a 20 degree angle! scary- hehe. anyways, will update this column with what the doc says tomorrow.

PS: do i know u? Vishnu? i know too many "Vish"es...that's the problem-hehe.

Anonymous said...

Well Vishnu is right. Hee heee .. though scary, I believe you have got a beautiful story to weave at parties and get tos ;),, and impress. U know what I mean :)).

Kidding. Take care.

Ram said...

Vishnu- hehe. thanks! thought it was u(logical conclusion, u know :P). I might be needing it dude. will get in touch with u soon.

Anonymous said...

How is u pain now, ram anna?
When i read the topic thought u would have written something about some cricketers knee injury for i find so many posts abt cricket matches...But then it was really boring out her so thoguht ok let me read it and only then did i realise that it was u who was hurt.:-(
Hope that u r alright now and ready to march towards the ground.:-)

Nisha

Ram said...

nisha- it's a ligament tear...hoping to get well soon. thanks for asking...